Portrait and genre painter Hugh Cameron was born and died in Edinburgh. He studied at the Trustees' Academy, before exhibiting widely including at the Royal Scottish Academy (RSA; from 1854) and in London at the Royal Academy, Society of British Artists in Suffolk Street and Grosvenor Gallery between 1871 and 1892. He was a member of the RSA, the Royal Water-Colour Society and the Institute of Painters in Oil-Colours. He gave various addresses in Edinburgh when exhibiting at the RSA until 1876, when he gave the address of a studio in Knightsbridge, London. He had returned to Edinburgh the following year, but was apparently based in Kensington, London, from 1880 to 1888, dividing his remaining years between Lower Largo in Fife and Edinburgh.
Collection of advocate, art collector and public figure Robert Horn (1810-1878) of Randolph Crescent, Edinburgh; sold through Dowell’s Rooms, George Street, Edinburgh, on 4 December 1886, for 75 guineas, as ‘A Harvest Rig in the East Neuk’; collection of ‘Mrs Goodig Smitt’; from whom purchased by the Fine Art Society, London, in August 1976; from whom purchased by the Department of the Environment in July 1977
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.