This view shows the road leading to the Highgate Archway, a viaduct designed by the architect John Nash (1752–1835) which was opened in 1813. Horse-drawn carriages are seen approaching the turnpike gate (or tollgate), just before the archway. To the left of the gate, is the Archway Tavern. Although this print was published by printsellers James Whittle and Richard Holmes Laurie, it is based on a version published by Rudolph Ackermann (1764–1834) in the year before the archway opened, and made after a design by Augustus Charles Pugin (1762–1832). Pugin’s version does not include the tollgate, which was presumably yet to be constructed, and shows a residential building on the site of the Archway Tavern. The designs for both Pugin’s version and this print were apparently drawn from a high position on a building opposite the turnpike.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.