View of the Town and Harbour of Liverpool, from Seacombe
Coloured engravingpublished 13 November 1820
About the work
The view shows Liverpool from Seacombe, a ward in the district of Wallasey, Merseyside. Seacombe is on the edge of the River Mersey and positioned at one of the narrowest points in the river. The first ferry to cross the Mersey from Seacombe to Liverpool is recorded in the ‘Domesday Book’ of 1086 and the service continues today. The group of people standing on the riverside to the left of the composition may well be waiting for the next Seacombe ferry.
The artist of this work, John P. Jenkinson, also drew the design for a print titled ‘View of Liverpool from the Magazines’ (artillery stores). The print, also engraved by T. Dixon, was published four years before this work in 1816.
About the artist
T. Dixon is probably Thomas Dixon, an engraver who produced prints after several views of Liverpool, published in the 1820s and 1830s, including views of ‘The Exchange Buildings and Nelson's Monument’ and ‘The Corn Exchange, Brunswick Street’, both part of the publication ‘Lancashire Illustrated’, issued in parts from 1829 to 1831.