About the work
The identity of the artist and sitters in this group portrait, have yet to be identified. The painting was removed from a wall panel at No. 18 Collingham Gardens, near Earls Court in London.
The houses of Collingham Gardens (built 1883–88) were designed by Ernest George and Harold Peto, progressive domestic architects. Their designs are said to have been ‘inspired by the old Flemish and German town houses’. Architect Robert Kerr, writing in 1884 on the progression of architecture, pointed out that the architect was increasingly considering ‘minor art work, which is part and parcel of his scheme and which he must himself design and control …there may be even set pictures and statuary sometimes.’ It is not implausible that architects had this work installed to complement the Dutch-style of architecture.
During the early 20th century, 18 Collingham Gardens was occupied by a family named Dales. A Mr J. D. Crump resided there in 1937 but by 1945 the building was in use as a hostel for ‘Colonial Women Students’. The property was later owned by the Department of the Environment and leased to the British Council until 1970. That year this work was removed before the building was converted to a home for retired police officers.
- unknown family, Dutch family)unknown manunknown womanunknown boyunknown girl
- group portrait, landscape C17th, Flemish School, moustache, Dutch, Flemish, boy, man, woman, girl, 17th century costume, ruff, collar, fan, van dyke collar, family, husband, wife, mother, father, sister, brother, child, pillar (architectural feature), curtain
Flemish 17th century unknown
- Dutch Family
- Oil on canvas
- height: 135.00 cm, width: 160.00 cm
- Transferred from the Department of the Environment, Property Services Agency, November 1970
- none visible
- Formerly at No.18 Collingham Gardens, London, SW5 (Building maintained by the Victoria League as the Colonial Girls’ Club, on behalf of the Colonial Office. Building formerly owned by the Property Services Agency and Department of the Environment.)
- GAC number