The Highgate Archway from the Turnpike Gate at Holloway
Coloured aquatintPublished 20 March 1823
About the work
This view shows the road leading to Highgate Archway in north London. The archway is a viaduct designed by the architect John Nash (1752-1835), which was opened in 1813. Horse-drawn carriages are seen approaching the turnpike gate (or tollgate), just before the archway. To the left of the gate is the Archway Tavern.
The print was published by Richard Holmes Laurie (1777-1858; son of mezzotint engraver and printseller Robert Laurie) of 53 Fleet Street, London, in March 1823. It is based on an earlier line engraving issued by the publisher Rudolph Ackermann (1764-1834) in 1812, the year before Highgate Archway opened. (Printsellers James Whittle and Richard Holmes Laurie also published a version in November 1813.)
Ackermann’s print was made after a design by Augustus Charles Pugin (1762-1832). It does not include the tollgate (presumably yet to be constructed) and it shows a residential building on the site of the Archway Tavern. Both Pugin’s design and this version of the print were apparently drawn from a high position on a building opposite the turnpike.
British 19th century unknown
- The Highgate Archway from the Turnpike Gate at Holloway
- Published 20 March 1823
- Coloured aquatint
- height: 30.00 cm, width: 44.50 cm
- Purchased from John McMaster, August 1950
- GAC number