View of the Vauxhall Iron Bridge
Coloured engravingpublished 20 August 1816
About the work
This view of Vauxhall Bridge includes moored boats in the foreground and the bridge beyond. A windmill can be seen in the distance, to the left. The new Vauxhall Iron Bridge was opened for foot passengers on 4 June and for carriages on 25 July 1816, less than a month before this engraving was published.
Work began on the first bridge at Vauxhall, designed by engineer John Rennie (1761-1821), in 1809. It was built by a private company, known as the Vauxhall Bridge Company, on the site of a ferry crossing, as part of a scheme for redeveloping the south bank of the River Thames. However, two years later the Vauxhall Bridge Company decided to adopt engineer James Walker’s cheaper cast-iron bridge design. The new bridge opened in 1816 and was the first iron bridge to span the river. It operated as a toll bridge before being taken into public ownership in 1879. In 1881 the two central piers were removed and three of its nine arches were converted into a single arch. Between 1895 and 1906 the structure was replaced by the present bridge, designed by engineer Sir Alexander Binnie, which comprises of five steel arches supported on granite piers.
About the artist
British 19th century unknown
- View of the Vauxhall Iron Bridge
- published 20 August 1816
- Coloured engraving
- height: 28.10 cm, width: 43.50 cm
- Purchased from F B Daniell & Son, December 1949
- GAC number