Henry Charles Keith Petty-Fitzmaurice, 5th Marquess of Lansdowne (1845-1927) Viceroy of India & Foreign Secretary
Oil on canvas1927
About the work
As Foreign Secretary, Henry Petty-Fitzmaurice was responsible for negotiating the Entente Cordiale between Britain and France in 1904. Talks between Lansdowne and his French counterpart, Théophile Delcassé, had begun at Lansdowne House in July 1903, and the formal agreement was signed by Lansdowne and the French Ambassador in London, Paul Cambon, on 8 April 1904. The Entente Cordiale led to greater diplomatic cooperation between France and Britain and also resolved differences between the two countries over territorial influence, particularly in Egypt and Morocco.Lansdowne was Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs from 1900 to 1905 and, as such, was also responsible for negotiating the Anglo-Japanese alliance of January 1902. He held many political and diplomatic positions over the course of his career, including Governor General of Canada (1883–1888); Viceroy of India (1888–1894); and, in the final years of Queen Victoria’s reign, Secretary of State for War (1895–1900). He was also chairman of the joint committee that dealt with proposals for a channel tunnel, a project that dates back to the nineteenth century.This portrait was copied by Kendrick in 1927 from Philip de Laszlo’s painting of 1920 in Bowood House, the Lansdowne family seat in Wiltshire. Kendrick has focussed primarily on the face of the sitter, while the background is sketched in with thin paint. Lansdowne looks out calmly and confidently at the viewer, and is shown wearing the accoutrements of the Order of the Garter.
- Petty-Fitzmaurice, Henry Charles Keith, 5th Marquess of Lansdowne
- male portrait, moustache, man, 19th century costume, ceremonial costume, robe, riband, ribbon (as Subject - costume accessory), livery collar, Order of the Garter, Marquess, Viceroy of India, Foreign Secretary, Secretary of State for War, sword
- Henry Charles Keith Petty-Fitzmaurice, 5th Marquess of Lansdowne (1845-1927) Viceroy of India & Foreign Secretary
- Oil on canvas
- height: 81.50 cm, width: 55.50 cm
- Purchased 1927
- bl: AFTER / DE LASZLO / By / S.P.Kendrick. 1927.
- GAC number