George Washington (1732-99) revolutionary army officer and first President of the U.S.A.
Oil on canvas1918
About the work
Place: Ministry of Defence, Royal Artillery Barracks, Woolwich
About the artist
William A. Menzies worked as a copyist, making numerous accurate reproductions of works by other artists. In total there are six copies by Menzies in the Government Art Collection, all of which were painted between 1910 and 1918.
- George Washington (1732-99) revolutionary army officer and first President of the U.S.A.
- Oil on canvas
- height: 240.00 cm, width: 148.50 cm
- Presented by the Earl of Albemarle, 1919
- verso on canvas (before relining): George Washington / after portrait at Quidenham / by Peale, / belonging to the Rt. Honble. / The Earl of Albemarle CB / 1918. / W. A. Menzies // Presented by The Earl & Countess / of Albemarle to commemorate the entrance / of the U.S.A. into the Great War.
- Presented by Earl & Countess of Albemarle to HM Government in 1919 to commemorate entrance of USA into the Great War. Copy painted in 1918 by W A Menzies after portrait belonging to Lord Albemarle at Quidenham
- GAC number